Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day Out

This morning we headed to Anna's orphanage around 9am. We were still a little leery about how Anna might react, but on the way there she fell asleep in the carrier, so we thought it would work out just fine for her to visit.

We were greeted by the orphanage director (we had met her already as she brought Anna to us on Monday), she is friendly and seemed very fond of Anna. The other couple that is here was on the visit with us as well. We were told that there were about 600 children there, but only 100 of them actually lived in the orphanage, the rest were in foster care. We found out that Anna had only returned to the orphanage 2 days before we met her. The orphanage was very clean and the nannies were all very friendly...in fact when we entered the living quarters, about 5 nannies came out and surrounded Anna going on and on about her. We don't know everything they were saying, but they all seemed to love her and Anna did great with it all (the carrier really makes her feel secure)!

After the visit, our guide took us to a traditional Chinese tea house where we were about to sample several local teas. It was a really neat experience!

We found a play area in the lobby of the hotel and met the other couple for a play date late this afternoon. After dinner tonight we decided to give her a real bath...Greg inflated the ducky tub we brought and she loved it! After bath, baby had bottle and baby fell fast asleep...it's 9pm now and she has been asleep for about an hour! All in all - a great day here in Kunming.
























18 comments:

~Mis-Wen~ said...

Sounds like a wonderful day indeed! And what a blessing that she liked her first bath.......doesn't always work that way! :)

Blessings!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

What a doll! I am so enjoying following your journey...it makes me smile! I especially love the picture of you holding your precious bundle of joy....you look very loving and motherly! I am so glad to hear that things are getting better! Have a great day! Mimi

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post - great pictures -
things are definitely looking up -
3 smiling beautiful faces.
Have a great day - Love you, Grammie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so happy that things are calming down for her. You guys look so great holding her. What a beautiful family....sounds like the prayers are working!! I am so thrilled for you guys. I bet you can't wait to get her home...I'm sure Grandmas are ready for hugs and kisses. Be safe and have a great rest of your trip.

Robert and Patty

Anonymous said...

The picture of Laura and Anna asleep in the car - priceless
And yes Greg, the bathtime shot was fabulous as well ! So glad to read that Anna is sleeping better.

Jill C

Mrs. Misty said...

It sounds like you had a great day out. I can't wait to hear all about it!!! The carrier seems to be doing the trick...yea!!!

The pictures you posted are great. Anna looks so happy, and so do you!! I hope you have a wonderful evening and I pray that Anna sleeps all night and wakes up ready to take on another day!!
Love you!!
Misty

JJ said...

I am friends with Kelley Brown, we went to Auburn together! My family and I live in Chongqing. We came in August and are not sure how long we will be here. I was at your hotel in Kunming this past November so I can picture the play area and everything! I am so thrilled for your family. Enjoy your new baby girl.... and Kunming, it is awesome! Joy

JJ said...

I am friends with Kelley Brown, we went to Auburn together! My family and I live in Chongqing. We came in August and are not sure how long we will be here. I was at your hotel in Kunming this past November so I can picture the play area and everything! I am so thrilled for your family. Enjoy your new baby girl.... and Kunming, it is awesome! Joy

Unknown said...

Such a Cute group of pics today!! I am so happy that she is beginning to have some peaceful sleep!!! Yeah for baby and parents :))!! LOVE THE BATH PICTURE!! Blow that up and frame it for the bathroom, so flippin cute!! Love Donna

Three Gals and a Guy said...

Yay! So glad to hear things are going so awesome (did we ever doubt they would, though!)
Love, love love that little bathtub! It is a hoot! I showed it to Emma and she thinks she needs a "duckie bathtub" too :)

Anonymous said...

As a parent you have those ups and downs but thankfully God is always there.
Love the pics. Can't wait to see miss Anna in person!
Dave & Shanica

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful that the Ergo is doing it's job! I got choked up looking at the picture of Laura holding Anna in the car. That's where she belongs, heart to heart, bonding with her new mommy and daddy. We love you. Keep up the good work! You're doing awesome! God is SO GOOD!!
Nichole

Anonymous said...

The pics are so darn cute! It is so neat to hear about your ability to connect with other parents and to have your first playdate...how exciting! Thanks be to God that you are all having such a wonderful experience and journey!
Blessings,
Michelle McCoy

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for about a month now. I'm so excited for your family :) glad things are going smoothly and you all are getting rest now. We will continue to pray for the 3 of you. I am really enjoying getting to experience your journey through your posts. I found out a couple of weeks ago that Julie Vaughan is your sister in law also. I taught with her at WS for several years before becoming a stay at home mom. She is such a sweetheart.

Kerri (Ramsey) Pitts

JND said...

I love reading your posts and seeing your pictures. The one in the bathtub is just too cute! The ones with Anna in the arms of her mom and dad are heartwarming.

I look into her eyes in these pictures and think about all she's been through and the many changes she's endured in her short life thus far, and to realize that these big changes are about to come to an end for her, I'm thrilled for her. Such a resiliant little girl--and she smiles through it all (well, a lot of it anyway). :-) So glad she's sleeping better. I just know she feels more and more secure every day.

I believe you are experiencing your last full day in Kunming. Enjoy it, and safe travels on Friday!

Thinking about you all the time,
Jana

Stacy said...

You all look so rested and happy.
My favorite pic is the one of Laura with Anna asleep in the carrier. So sweet!
I, too, can't wait for the homecoming...
Stacy

Anonymous said...

I can't stop looking at the pictures of the three of you. Pictures are priceless. You look rested and happy. Greg you took a great picture of Laura and Anna. You look like proud Dad. Sounds like everything is falling into place. The rubber duckie picture will fit very nicely with Laura and your bathtime pictures. Miss you so much. I can't wait to see Anna in person! Lots of Love, Nana

Unknown said...

She seriously is absolutely perfect. The picture of her in the tub is just precious. You guys look so happy with her and like she has always just been a part of you.
Kelly